Illinois Guide By Your Side (GBYS) is brought to you by:
Illinois Hands & Voices,
CHOICES For Parents,
and The Illinois Newborn Hearing Program
Working Together To Support Illinois Families
Guide By Your Side (GBYS) is a program that provides:
- Unbiased information
- One on one support and resources
- Trained Parent Guides to talk and/or meet with you.
What are Parent Guides?
- Parent Guides are adults who have children with a hearing loss.
- They provide unbiased information and resources regarding communication, educational and technological choices.
- They help families identify their options…not tell them which options to choose.
- They support families. Support is all about listening first…not judging, and it’s always done without bias.
- They help families navigate through the many systems and services available in Illinois.
- They work as a team with professionals offering a well rounded care system for families.
Who are the Parent Guides?
- Meet the guides for a list of all Parent Guides currently working in the state of Illinois.
Who is Eligible to Participate in the GBYS Program?
- Families who have a child who has a hearing loss or who you suspect has a hearing loss.
- Families that live in Illinois.
How Much Does the GBYS Program Cost Me?
- This program is free to participating families.
How Does the GBYS Program Benefit Me and My Family?
- One-on-One consultation via phone, email or home visits with a regional Parent Guide.
- The opportunity to network with other families.
- Notification of, and opportunities to participate in, local and statewide educational events.
- Shop With Scrip: purchase gift cards online for major retailers and help us raise money for GBYS (www.shopwithscrip.com)
- Sponsor a Family: By giving a personal donation of $100 you will help sponsor a family through the process of the GBYS Program. Personal donations of any amount are also welcome.
- We are also hosting our second annual Family Fun Walk in beautiful Southwind Park in Springfield, IL on October 13, 2013. To make a donation, create a team, contact us at email@example.com.
A large portion of funding for GBYS comes from various fundraising events and private donations. If you are interested in participating in any of the following ways please contact the GBYS Program Coordinator.
Read our collaborative Hands & Voices and GBYS Newsletter: EARS,
- This is our most recent newsletter It contains information about upcoming events in the state of Illinois.
- You can find out about opportunities to meet other parents, learn about deafness and communicating with your child, have fun with your child, available resources, learn about IEPS, and much more.
- Our newsletter is also available in Spanish. IL EARSE en español click here
Contact Information for the GBYS Program
I am a parent and I would like to contact you to:
- Receive more information about the program.
- Be connected with a parent guide.
- Find out more information on how I can be a Parent Guide.
- Support the Program.
I am a provider/professional and I would like to contact you to:
- Request more information about the program.
- To refer a family to the Program.
- Support the Program.
If you are a parent or a professional taking the next step is easy. Simply contact the GBYS Program Coordinator, Carrie Balian at (866) 655-4588.